Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Tucson: A tip from Sharon Moist

-----Original Message-----
From: slm@TheIndustryCoach.com
Sent: Sunday, May 11, 2008 11:02 AM
Subject: Yahoo Post

*********

Do You Talk a Good Game?
By Sharon Moist


Last week I had a conversation with a potential client who talks a really
good game.

The challenge with this person is that I've "been there and done that," so
I'm very familiar with the "talk the talk, but don't walk the walk"
syndrome. Up until two years ago, I could talk just about anyone under the
table with all of my big plans. Unfortunately, all I did was talk. I never
took action on anything. Just ask my former trainer; he'll tell you just
how true that statement really is!

Fortunately, that's not the case anymore. Now I talk the talk AND walk the
walk, and my life has changed 360 degrees because of it.

So what changed? Just one thing: I stopped talking and started walking.
(i.e. I actually took the first step on something.)

For example: When it came to exercise, I went for a ten-minute walk. (This
area is definitely a challenge for me, as I'm not a big fan of
exercising!) When it came to nutrition, I drank one extra glass of water.
(Soda is my preferred beverage of choice!) When it came to getting my
office organized, I set the timer for 10 minutes and worked on a pile of
papers. (My assistant lives in Canada, so when it comes to keeping my
office straight, it's really up to me!)

See how simple it was? The most important thing was to make each step I
took small enough for me to succeed and feel like I had actually
accomplished something. After that, momentum built on momentum, and the
steps I took got a little bit larger each time, until I was no longer
talking, but actually walking!

Now, let's be honest: The exercise thing and the water thing are still a
challenge for me, as I'd still rather sit on the couch reading a good book
and drinking a can of soda, than working out on the treadmill, drinking a
bottle of water. But, I'm working on it!

I don't think that most people who talk a good game intend to just talk. I
really do think they want to accomplish the things they talk about. I know
I did. I've also come to realize that the reason I wasn't getting anywhere
was two-fold: (1) I wanted to do it perfectly and (2) If there was too
much to do, I became completely overwhelmed and didn't know where to
start.

Finally, after many conversations with one of my own coaches, I realized
that perfection was never going to happen. After that, she helped me break
things down into bite-size pieces, which gave me a place to start.

So what about you? When it comes to your acting career, do you talk the
talk or walk the walk?

If you discover that you're doing more talking than walking, I would
encourage you to take an hour or two and figure out exactly what's holding
you back from actively pursuing your goals. And if you can't figure it out
on your own, talk to your friends or even consider hiring a coach, like
myself, to help you.

Then, once you have the answers you need to break through your stuck
spots, the sky is the limit on what you can achieve, so go for it!

To Your Acting Success,
Sharon

P.S. If you enjoyed this article, then I'd invite you to subscribe to my
free email newsletter, the Industry News Digest. The next issue comes out
on May 15th and you can subscribe at:
http://www.IndustryNewsDigest.com

Copyright C Sharon Moist. All Rights Reserved.

*********

Sharon Moist
The Industry CoachR

Phone: 818-848-4188
Email: slm@TheIndustryCoach.com
Website: http://www.TheIndustryCoach.com

Newsletter: http://www.IndustryNewsDigest.com
Book: http://www.101TipsForActors.com

Blogs: http://www.IndustryCoachBlog.com

http://www.ActorsResourceBlog.com

No comments: