Thursday, May 28, 2020

Tucson Improv Movement Digital Edition Shows and Classes

 

From: Tucson Improv Movement <justin@tucsonimprov.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2020 6:59 AM
Subject: The Yes And News 5/28/20

 

 

How have you been feeling during the pandemic?  There are days I feel great there are days I feel frustrated.  There are days I feel great about TIM, there are days I am not sure how we move forward.      I hope to be back in the theater as quickly as possible, but I don't want to move too fast, and let science guide the way.  I want to see what this opening up brings us, and look at how other businesses keep people safe before we run out the door trying to do comedy again.

I've been keeping myself busy, trying to find and do things I maybe wouldn't make time for otherwise.  I hope when we can get back to doing comedy I can bring some new perspective with me.  In our stand up 101 class a student shared this comedian Julio Torres and his shapes bit. It is hilarious, and recommend everyone go and give it a watch.  It's such a different brand of comedy than I would do and has really got me thinking about how to expand my horizons.

I just finished reading The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes the newest Hunger Games novel.  It's a prequel to all of the Katniss Everdeen love triangle stuff, and focuses on Cornelius Snow the main villain from the original story.  It was dark and twisty and definitely a page turner.  It's always a challenge to make a future villain someone you root for and care about.  I have always been really into how things work, tradition, and how things come to be.  That might be one of my favorite things about TIM its cyclical nature, our traditions and origin story.  It was interesting to get a glimpse into the beginnings of the Hunger Games, and that fascinated me, how we saw the glitzy version in the first novels, and we got a much more dark and gritty one this go around.

I've been working through Daniel Kirby's Sketch 101 Class, and its really been pushing me to get down to the why something is funny.  Forcing my brain to think about comedy at a more granular level.  It's going to make me a better performer, and I have a finished sketch that I am pretty proud of, hopefully one day it sees the stage.  If you haven't taken the Sketch class, we have one starting next month, and a 201 also.  It really focuses on writing, and the how and why something works comedically.

And lastly, I've just been spending some evenings in my back yard watching the sunset.  Enjoying the cool whispers of a May evening breeze, trying to take in every last bit of them before it gets too hot to go back outside until monsoon season.  I've been contemplating how to get rid of this annoying grass that keeps coming up to torment me, and to give my citrus trees the love they actually deserve for once.  It's been nice, and I hope things remain a little slower and we get to savor moments more after this is over.  It's what I've been trying to do, and something I want to take with me from the pandemic.

That was weird, and I guess a little glimpse into my diary from the past couple weeks.  If you are still reading...why?  But I appreciate it.  I didn't mean for this to happen when I started writing, but here we are pandemics are weird.  Over the next month I really hope to spice up what we are doing at TIM for you.  We need to change and keep pushing forward if TIM is going to make it through this.  I hope you go for this ride with us and keep supporting all the great people who make time so funny!

 

Justin

 

 

 

 

Don't miss the newest Baby Fish Mouth Sketch about that team member at work who is thriving during the pandemic!

 

 

 

Upcoming Shows

 

 

 

Friday Night

5/29 @ 7:00 pm - Performance Evaluation & Triple Indemnity
6/5 @ 7:00pm - Home Alone Comedy Show
6/12 @ 7:00pm - Stand Up 101 Student Showcase

 

Sunday Morning

11:00 am - Discussing Improv: An Afternoon Constitutional
5/31 with Maria Konopken from Matt Damon Improv Chicago discussing Mental Health and Improv
6/7 with Jorge Berrios Spanglish Improv LA discussing Improv in Another Language
6/14 with Tina Jailing Bear Stage San Antonio discussing Deep Relationships and Slow Comedy

 

 

 

 

Support TIM: Digital Edition Show Tickets

 

 

 

Upcoming Classes

 

 

 

 

Improv Comedy 

Improv(e) Your Zoom Meetings - Saturday, May 30th with Justin Lukasewicz
Improv Impressions
 - Sunday, May 31st with Justin Lukasewicz
 

Stand Up Comedy 

101 - Sunday, June 14th with Mo Urban(Digital Edition)
 

Sketch Comedy 

101 - Sunday, June 21st with Amanda Tennyson (Digital Edition)
201 - Sunday, June 14th with Daniel (Digital Edition)

 

 

 

 

Register for Class Now

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Improv Impressions

Saturday, May 31st with Justin Lukasewicz

Have you heard of the concept Yes And and need to know more?  Join Improv Impressions: an asynchronous virtual introduction to the tenets and philosophy behind improv comedy.  In this class, participants will receive virtual content drops over three weeks which will include videos, articles to read, and thoughts from our TIM instructors and performers.  The class will work together through a private facebook group where participants will be encouraged to post homework about the concepts and interact with other participants.  There will be a once a week one hour virtual office hour where participants can chat with the instructor and fellow class participants over Zoom.  Start your improv journey with Tucson Improv Movement!

 

 

 

Register for Improv Impressions Today!

 

 

-------------------------------------

Tucson Theatre Announcement List
Subscribe :tucsonstage-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Unsubscribe :tucsonstage-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

 

 

No comments: