Friday, June 13, 2008

Tucson: Monthly Acting Tip from Sharon Moist

 

 

From: Sharon Moist [mailto:news@theindustrycoach.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2008 1:50 PM
Subject: (IND) Monthly Acting Tip

 

June 12th Acting Tip
(From the Book: 101 Tips for Actors)



101 Tips for Actors:
Secrets for Success Every Actor Must Know

Designed to provide you with practical information for pursuing your acting career, 101 Tips for Actors gives you an insider’s look at how to be successful in this business. To learn more, go to: www.101TipsForActors.com

 



Tip # 59. It’s All Greek to Me

One of the hardest decisions a high school student has to make is the decision on where to go to college.

I remember when I was in that position. I must have looked at 15 or 20 colleges before deciding to attend a small liberal arts school in the Midwest. This university was a very popular choice among my high school classmates, but I was hesitant about attending the school because it was about 85% Greek at the time. This meant that 85% of the students in the school belonged to a sorority or fraternity.

After school started, I decided to go through “Rush” to see if I wanted to join a sorority. What a nightmare! The girls in each house were very different, and I had no idea where I would best fit in. At the same time, I was also hearing a lot of outside gossip about which sororities were the “best” ones on campus and which ones were not so great. Of course, I fell in love with the girls from one of the not-so-popular sororities and pledged that house because it was where I felt most at home.

Unfortunately, due to outside influences, I de-pledged that sorority the very next day, hoping to pledge one of the more popular sororities later in the year. There was only one problem: when I went through second semester Rush, the girls in the popular sororities didn’t want me!

When I was a sophomore I went through Rush again, hoping I would get invited to join one of the popular sororities. And once again I fell in love with the girls from the sorority I pledged as a freshman. This time I pledged that house for good because those girls were exactly my type, and I fit in perfectly with them.

So what does that have to do with acting? One thing and only one thing: When it comes to auditions, don’t force yourself into roles that are not right for you.

If you’re a character actor who keeps submitting yourself for leading men or women parts, or visa versa, not only are you wasting your time; you’re also ruining your credibility as an actor by showing everyone that you have no idea who you are or what kind of parts are right for you.

Breakdown

  • Don’t force yourself into roles that you’re not “right” for. It can potentially ruin your credibility, and you want them to remember you for what you can do not what you can’t do!

© 2008 Sharon Moist. All Rights Reserved.

Want more tips? Go to: www.101TipsForActors.com

 

 

---------------------------------
Tucson Theatre Announcements List
Archive and subscription information on http://tucsonstage.com

 

No comments: