Do You Enjoy Theatre, Writing Plays, Making New Friends?
Join the Out to Lunch Theatre Volunteers at Beowulf Alley Theatre
Let Your Words and Story Be Heard; Help with Short, Daytime Performances
Beowulf Alley’s Out to Lunch Theatre wants six to ten volunteers with an interest in theatre to help us present short plays one day a week at lunchtime, using a rotation of two to four volunteers at each performance with one monthly meeting for all committee members. Performances are usually in conjunction with our main stage performance dates, (October-June) as well as once a week in July. Beowulf Alley’s Out to Lunch Theatre is a great way to meet new friends and have some fun learning about and promoting theatre in our community. Each participant in Out to Lunch Theatre gets to see the lunchtime plays for free, as well. Other performance ticket discounts may apply.
Playwrights and Directors (including committee volunteers) are invited to submit scripts or script suggestions, no more than 20 minutes in length, to Beowulf Alley’s fun, lunchtime, Out to Lunch Theatre Program. Out to Lunch Theatre is in its infancy with a limited budget but unlimited theatrical creativity. Plays requiring no royalties will be given first consideration.
The program is designed to be performed on a small stage space with portable flats, limited set pieces, costumes, props, etc., to entertain the community of day-time patrons who work nearby, enjoy lunch-hour culture, have a limited budget and who enjoy theatre. Sound and lighting effects should be simple and easy for novices to run the boards. Scripts should lean toward more humorous topics that appeal to the working patrons who have to go back to their offices. Casting should require four or less actors and no more than eight rehearsals, two of which will be scheduled on the stage while others may be in the rehearsal room or lobby, pending availability. Script submissions are ongoing. Plays submitted or suggested should be finished pieces, thoroughly vetted and thoughtfully crafted.
Playwright’s Guidelines and Responsibilities –
- One securely bound script mailed to the theatre or an e-mailed copy in pdf format or MSWord 2003 or 2007 (see mailing details below).
- Arrange for a stage manager and hold auditions (Beowulf will help by holding auditions onsite, if necessary)
- Obtain and/or request the necessary volunteers to support the project (Beowulf can help with this)
- Provide a written synopsis, contact sheet (including names, phone numbers and e-mail addresses of all participants), and 100-word bios for each participant (preferably all of these materials will be e-mailed to the Out to Lunch designee at least three weeks in advance of the reading (this is how long it takes to execute promotion)
- Arrange and manage no more than eight rehearsals, no longer than 3 hours each (generally at Beowulf, pending proper scheduling to arrange for space in theatre)
- Coordinate planning and presentation with and through Out to Lunch committee members
- Clearly communicate requests and questions in advance of rehearsals
Beowulf will provide -
- Lighting that is sufficient for play without compromising main stage production. No instruments will be moved or re-focused
- An audition space and time (if required)
- Rehearsal space and time (for up to eight rehearsals pending available space and timely request for scheduling)
- Lunch time performance on the Baron Stage (generally Wednesdays as described above)
- Public announcements and press releases containing information provided by director (we reserve the right to edit)
- Front of House Manager and concessionaire (from the Out to Lunch Committee)
- A committee member assist with production and rehearsal needs
THE PREFERRED METHOD FOR INQUIRIES REGARDING PARTICIPATION IN THE OUT TO LUNCH PROJECT MAY BE MADE VIA E-MAIL AT email@example.com and Must INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING IN THE SUBJECT LINE: OUT TO LUNCH THEATRE. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE E-MAIL, PLEASE CALL (520) 622-4460. PARTICIPATION IS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE THEIR OWN LOCAL HOUSING AND TRANSPORTATION AND CAN BE AVAILABLE AT ALL PRE-ARRANGED TIMES.
Script submissions are ongoing and may be mailed to:Beowulf Alley Theatre Company OUT TO LUNCH THEATRE 11 S. 6th Avenue Tucson, Arizona 85701
Scripts may be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. NOTE IN THE SUBJECT LINE: OUT TO LUNCH SCRIPT.
Tucson Theatre Announcements List
In association with Chuck Graham's "Let The Show Begin" at http://tucsonstage.com.
Visit the website for Chuck's reviews and TTA Archive and subscription information.