From: Samantha Wyer [mailto:email@example.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 4:04 PM
Subject: Arizona Theatre Company Teen Critic Program
Teen Critic Program:
- Arizona Theatre Company continues an exciting new program in its 2006-2007 season that focuses on journalism and critical writing. Our Teen Critic Program exposes students to professional theatre, learning about the aesthetics and qualities that make professional theatre wonderful to behold. The students also learn how to construct and write a professional caliber theatre review. Not only are they invited to opening night, receive a press packet, and get preferred press seating, they have the opportunity to engage in workshops with Arizona theatre critics and have their worked professionally reviewed. After seeing the show, students then write a review for your school newspaper or other school publication. Of course, we want a copy too! (So, reviews should then be submitted to the Arizona Theatre Company.)
School Mentors are also needed. Mentors must be journalism or language arts teachers and also must have a student from their school involved as the student critic. As a mentor, you will receive two complimentary tickets to each show at Arizona Theatre Company to use at some point during the run of each production, subject to availability. As the students prepare their reviews for your school publication, they will have someone within their home school with whom they can discuss aspects of the show. You will also serve as a mentor during the critique writing process. Students are more then welcome to ask questions of the Arizona Theatre Company education staff, but may find it easier to discuss the production with someone who has no bias to the theatre company. Students will then publish their critique in their school newspaper when it has been completed, mentioning upcoming Arizona Theatre Company productions.
Students must commit to attending opening night for each six of our productions.
The TUCSON shows and dates are:
- Twelfth Night: Friday, September 15 at 7:30pm
- Jitney: Friday, October 27 at 7:30pm
- Ella: Friday, December 1 at 7:30pm
- Souvenir: Friday, January 19 at 7:30pm
- I Am My Own Wife: Friday, March 9 at 7:30pm
- Molly’s Delicious: Saturday, March 10 at 8pm
- Love, Janis: Saturday, March 24 at 8pm
The students are expected to be at each opening night, but we would like to have an alternate from each school in case a student cannot make the show on opening night.
If you are interested in serving as a mentor teacher and have students whom you believe would be interested in the Teen Critic Program, or if you are a student who would like to be involved, please contact Tucson Education Manager Julie Vance at 520-884-8210 ext 8506 or email Julie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Samantha K. Wyer
Associate Artistic Director / Education Director
Arizona Theatre Company
PO Box 1631
Tucson AZ 85702
(520) 884-8210 ext.8502
(520) 631-3030 cell
Tucson Theatre Announcements List
Archive and subscription information on http://tucsonstage.com